Tuesday 3rd July. Excellent progress today thanks to dry weather and lots of hard work. I would have pictures to show both trenches in their current state but I left the download cable for the camera in the office so they will have to wait until tomorrow. Trench D is now also completely de-turfed. Beneath the topsoil there is an orange silty clay subsoil. Any prehistoric activity on the site will have disturbed that soil and should be visible once the site is clean. We have started the process of cleaning up the surface with trowels to spot these features. We have one find so far from trench D, which Pete discovered while we were taking off the turf. It is one end of a blade or flake of chert. It is either part of, or a bit of the waste from making, a prehistoric stone tool. So far so good.
We have edged both trenches with scaffold boards, again to try and protect the grass. We also completed our fencing today. Both trenches are now enclosed within a large electric fence compound to keep John’s sheep and the archaeology/ists away from each other. Thanks to Joanne, Ella, Vanessa and Pete for painstaking untangling work on the electric fence, which got put away in a bit of a hurry at the end of last year’s dig and hasn’t been looked at since. Mike and Danny have also surveyed in some control points near to both trenches so we don’t have to keep walking halfway down the hill every time we want to set up the total station to record anything.
Wildlife of the day today. A stoat ran in front of the van on the way up to site.
Now with added pictures. I’ve located the download cable
Trench D from the south-west early on in the cleaning process. We think the bank in the background (behind the tree) is part of the post-medieval lime extraction that took place to the north-west of our site. Modest archaeologists with their faces averted and eyes firmly fixed on the job: left to right, Ella; Dave; Karl; Simon and Jasmine.